Meet the Buyer - Shimizu Corporation
Shimizu Corporation is an architectural, civil engineering and general contracting Japanese firm with more than 210 years of history
They are looking for solutions in plastic waste management, battery storage for renewable energy, hydrogen generation from water, carbon offset, emission trading and reduction of Co2, and insect-tech
Meet the Buyer events offer interesting opportunities for your company to get in touch with the leading enterprises in a variety of business sectors. The event is invite-only and will give you the chance to have an individual one-to-one meeting with key decision makers. Join the event, establish valuable collaborations, pitch your products and services, and discuss business partnerships that can fast-forward your company's growth.
Deadline for applications: 07/04/2021
Online meetings between successful applicants and the SHIMIZU team: 14th and 15th of April 2021
What is their business?
Shimizu Corporation has over 210 years of history in the general contracting/construction business.
Shimizu has aspired to earn customers' trust by devoting themselves to their work and creating quality
In addition to the core construction business (building construction, civil engineering, and overseas
construction), Shimizu engages in four main non-construction businesses: Real Estate Development,
Engineering, LCV (Life Cycle Valuation), and Emerging Frontier Businesses.
Description of Businesses
- Building Construction: Shimizu proposes, plans, designs, builds, and manages the operation and
maintenance of offices, plants, schools, hospitals, and a variety of other buildings.
- Civil Engineering: Shimizu designs, builds, and renovates tunnels, bridges, dams, urban
infrastructure, energy facilities, and other public works.
- Overseas Construction: Shimizu has participated in the construction of manufacturing facilities,
high-rise buildings, hospitals, bridges, subways, and other construction projects in countries around
the world, primarily in Southeast Asia
- Real Estate Development: Shimizu leverages the technology and expertise it has developed in the
construction business in real estate development of office buildings, logistics facilities, and other
- Engineering: Shimizu works on EPC (Engineering, Procurement, and Construction) business in four
core areas of alternative energy, environmental remediation, life sciences, and digital, and is working
to achieve low-carbon communities and create living environments that are safe, secure, and
- Life Cycle Valuation: Shimizu is increasing value and improving user satisfaction over the life cycle
of buildings, infrastructure, energy, and residential areas and is contributing to a sustainable future.
- Emerging Frontier Business: Shimizu is emerging rapidly commercialisation in four areas of
emerging frontier business: ocean development, space development, harmony with nature, and
venture investment in next-generation technologies.
What are they looking for?
Based on Paris Climate Agreement, Shimizu has clear objectives to reduce global warming gases for
future generations. In Shimizu's main business of construction, great effort has been invested in energysaving
building technologies, and we have achieved zero-emission for a client's office building as well
as more than 60% CO2 emission reduction in our head office (awarded the Top-Level Office Building in
Tokyo). Shimizu is also seeking new business projects that are sustainable and contribute to the
mitigation of and adaptation to climate change.
For this event, Shimizu is looking for innovative companies to identify new partnerships, ideas, technologies, or methodologies that can help Shimizu to achieve sustainable business promotion and establishment.
Shimizu is looking for solutions in the following areas:
1. Projects contributing to the resolution of waste plastic problemsWe want to take on the challenge of creating businesses that can resolve various issues around waste plastic problems. We think that the following technologies can be combined with our company's resources to develop new projects;
- Technology for biodegradable bioplastic: garbage bags, food containers and packaging.
- Technology for developing materials that can be composted and fermented with methane gas in industrial composts other than garbage bags and food containers and packaging.
- Technology for developing biodegradable agricultural and materials used in civil engineering area made from bioplastics
- Technology to regenerate waste in a short period of time through technologies like 3D printing, etc.
- Technology that gathers microplastics with vessels: we image some equipment that can be installed on vessels/boats easily.
2. Technology to make Hydrogen from water
- Cost-efficient ways to create Hydrogen from water
- More efficient hydrogen electrolyser
3. Cutting edge and cost-efficient battery storage technologies for renewable energy production
4. Carbon emissions: trading/offsetting/ carbon capture and utilization
- Alternative usage of the earned credits other than the conventional offsetting
- Innovative platform/marketplace system to sell/buy the credits
- Carbon capture conversion/utilization
5. Insect-Tech applicable domain
- General BSF(Black Soldier Fly) Bio Technologies
- BSF extracted Protein usage, Processing of mixed feed (Livestock, Aquaculture)
- BSF extracted oil and Chitosan usage; Bio-Fuel, Medical supplementary, Cosmetic
What can Shimizu offer your company?
Shimizu Corporation has set an investment allowance with a maximum cap of 10 billion yen（US$94 million）to invest in venture firms and venture funds in Japan and overseas. The areas targeted are venture firms engaged in AI, robotics, drones, BIM and CIM, sensors, project management, new materials, smart cities, environment and energy, and new business domains,
Shimizu can also offer:
- Collaboration opportunities mainly in Japan and the Southeast Asia region
- Develop PoC projects with the start-ups
- Potentially utilising the existing methods and technologies from architectural/civil engineering domains
- Provide test-beds opportunities in Japan and other countries
- R&D to pilot projects co-working for new business establishment
- Potentially partnering towards commercial stages
How can you apply?
If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Camila Vila-Echague by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org briefly outlining the interest of your company in the Buyer's case.
You should include:
- a summary of why your product/solution or service meets the buyers needs
- a link to your website
- your contact detail
You can also contact your regional SCALE-UP partner.