Call for abstracts and sessions
The aim of this conference is to showcase the global potential of saline agriculture. All stakeholders are invited, including political decision-makers, business operators, land managers, civic society, researchers and research planners. With your participation, we aim to create a platform for researchers and research-users to enhance food production on saline lands.
Research underway in the North Sea countries and elsewhere in the world illustrates the vast and as yet underrated potential of growing food on soils generally qualified as saline. Food production on present and future saline soils deserves the world’s attention particularly because 1) food security is a pressing issue, 2) millions of hectares of degraded soils are available world-wide, 3) fresh water is becoming increasingly scarce, and 4) global sea-level rise threatens food production in fertile coastal lowlands.
The conference intends to build on the conclusions of earlier conferences, such as FAO’s Global Forum on Salinization and Climate Change, Salinity Forum and ICBA’s International Workshop on Climate Change and Soil Salinity Dynamics.
Presentations, papers and posters will be invited on the following themes:
• Saline agriculture as a means of adapting to climate change and sea level rise
• Fresh water management in potentially saline soils
• Revitalization of saline degraded lands
• Economics and financing of saline farming and products
• Microbiology of soils and plants
• Innovation and practical experience at farm level
• Experiments and promising crops
• Regional policies, politics and governance on salinization
• Awareness raising and capacity building for saline farming
Other related research topics can be added. We welcome participation from around the world.
Abstract and organised session deadline: 15 February 2019
To submit your abstract or your proposal for an organized session, please visit the website of the Wadden Academy, who is the main organiser of the conference.
To submit an abstract, please fill in this form and include the following information:
• Name(s) of the Author(s)
• Contact details, affiliation
• Proposed title
• A 200-300 word abstract
• 3-5 keywords
• Information whether you are planning to apply for a grant to compensate for the cost of participation
To propose an organised session, please fill in this form and include the following information:
• Name(s) of the Session's Organiser(s)
• Contact details, affiliation
• Proposed title of the session
• A 250-300 short description of the session
• Information on whether you would appreciate support from us for organizing a complete session
The session proposers will be responsible for their session, which includes reviewing abstracts/organizing session. Together with the conference organizers, they will put together the final program for their session.
Notification of the decision on abstracts by the Scientific Committee is scheduled for 15 March 2019.
We expect the authors of accepted abstracts to submit extended abstracts of 1500 words by 31 July 2019.
• 15 February 2019 - Deadline for abstracts and sessions
• 15 March 2019 - Notifications of acceptance of abstracts and sessions, including notification of grants
• 30 March 2019 - Early registration deadline
• 31 July 2019 - Registration deadline for presenting participants