A North Sea Perspective on Shipping, Energy and Environmental Aspects in Maritime Spatial Planning (NorthSEE)
- The North Sea Region (NSR) is one of the busiest areas for shipping and exploitation of natural resources (oil, gas, wind, etc.) in the world, and contains unique natural reserves.
- The countries around the NSR are frontrunners when it comes to Maritime Spatial Planning. Most of them have implemented or are developing national Maritime Spatial Plans to promote sustainable development of the sea within their national boundaries.
- Relevant authorities have used their own planning methods and processes to develop these plans. Exchange of the different approaches can serve as a source of inspiration for improving national MSP processes. Furthermore exchange can improve mutual understanding of the different national MSP systems and hence facilitate coordination.
- Given that the North Sea is a transnational area, coordination among national Maritime Spatial Plans is useful to capture synergies and to prevent incompatibilities concerning shipping routes, energy infrastructure and environmental protection.
The NorthSEE project aims to achieve:
- Greater coherence in Maritime Spatial Planning (processes) and in Maritime Spatial Plans (capturing synergies and preventing incompatibilies.
- Creating better conditions for sustainable development of the area in the fields of shipping, energy and environment protection.
Actions within activities
Click on the activity names (or in the side balk left) for a detailed description of the actions within the activities.
Integrated and horizontal activities
The MSP Challenge in the NorthSEE project
Latest Project News
New NorthSEE Interim Findings Brochure (May 2020) is now available online.
Current status and future trends of grid cables, electricity interconnectors and pipelines in the North Sea13 June 2019
High densities of submarine cables (including both power and telecommunication cables) and pipelines (for oil or gas transport) run across large stret…Read more
The Connecting Seas conference in Hamburg has been a great knowledge sharing and networking event for Maritime Spatial Planning themselves, but also f…Read more