Start of Work Package 3.1 – Report Smart Port Solutions for remoter areas, 15. April 2021Published 15. April 2021
Port of Hamburg Marketing has started with the work of the WP 3.1 report of Smart Port Solutions for remoter areas.
The main objective of the WP 3 is to identify transnational barriers and bottlenecks in terms of connectivity, smart technologies, and logistic processes, which impede the implementation of the TEN-T core and comprehensive network, more precisely the interface of the core and remoter nodes.
The results of studies (e.g. TEN-T corridor studies) and projects (e.g. INTERREG) are considered with a focus on regional/remoter intermodal nodes, which are threatened of being detached from major hubs due to a loss of competitiveness i.a. due to lack of capacity.
The studies consist at least of:
- Mapping existing and future intermodal transportation flows of remoter areas;
- Identification of hinterland barriers;
- Smart port solutions for remoter areas / small ports;
- Overview of existing policies at the TEN-T core and comprehensive measures.
The variations between the inland waterway regulations applied in the UK and other NSR countries will be discussed. The research will take into account that carriage of goods by inland waterway is part of a multimodal web, and it is proposed that the aspect will require research on the applicable legislation with a view to enhancing intermodality transport in the region.
This WP is not only relevant about disseminating newly gained information, but also to implement and establish a more inclusive TEN-T network addressing the needs of remoter areas.
The targets groups and stakeholder will be reached and involved in the regional stakeholder workshops, and NSR Connect regional conferences . The stakeholders will participate in interactive workshops to receive their input to the impact analysis and/or recent transport polices such as smart port initiatives.
The studies impact will:
- raise the awareness of the intermodality / smart transportation network;
- highlight the near future needs of the comprehensive network; and
- raise awareness for smart port initiatives.