Welcome to the webspace of #IWTS 2.0 - a project co-funded by the North Sea Region Programme 2014 - 2020.
Inland Waterway Transport (IWT) offers relatively slow, cheap, climate friendly hinterland transport alternatives for commodities transported in large quantities or bulk. The energy input per t/km is superior to rail, road transport. Many waterways in Europe remain widely un-/underused in the past decades.
- Addressed challenges:
- Low awareness about small waterway transport opportunities
- Low innovation in small barge development, transshipment of goods
- Lack of expertise in using small waterway opportunities
- Lack of training content and dedicated crews for small waterway sailing.
- Partners join forces; mobilise potentials and capacity to move freight to yet under-used waterways by:
- Realising a quick modal shift by introducing new and proven logistic technologies and support logistic managers that decide about modal shifts.
- Make better use of existing waterways by adapting them towards a sufficient standardsize vessels.
- Make better use of existing waterways by developing innovative sustainable small barge concepts.
- Modernizing IWT education, training with a focus on navigation on smaller waterways.
- IWTS 2.0. facilitates use of IWT on smaller waterways (comprehensive network) in the NSR region linking them to main TEN-T corridors.
- By piloting 8 small waterway modal shifts including; innovative barge-, waterway-, transshipment-, (un)loading-, freight flow mapping-, modal shift decision making solutions, we showcase proven concepts that will be adopted by the market.
Latest Project News
Moodvideo launching and live event Green Wave in Heerewaarden
Tecnical description :