DUAL Ports - Developing Low carbon Utilities, Abilities and potential of regional entrepreneurial Ports (10/11/2015-31/12/2021) is a €8,69m project, 50% co-funded by the European Union and the European Regional Development Fund through the Interreg North Sea Region Programme 2014 – 2020, Eco-innovation priority.
It brings together 10 Belgian, Scottish, Danish and Dutch harbour authorities and public/private sector organisations, i.e. the Ports of Oostende, Zwolle (with Kampen and Meppel), Vordingborg, Skagen, Hvide Sande; Niedersachsen Ports GmbH & Co. KG Niederlassung Emden; Fair Winds Trust; ITM; Orkney Islands Council Marine Services; Hamburgisches WeltWirtschaftsInstitut gemeinnuetzige GmbH; Vordingborg Erhverv AS; Hvide Sande Fjernvarme; Laminaria; Seabased; Uppsala University; Celtic Cruises.
Stimulating eco-innovation among authorities and practitioners is a widespread priority in Europe nowadays. The overall challenge of promoting ´greening´ is intended to be able to meet national scores and EU policy targets on sustainable use of resources and carbon emission/pollution reduction. Being businesses and practitioners in their own right, beyond their transport function, also ports are expected to contribute to identifying and adopting on the ground low carbon visions and concrete solutions to this purpose.
The DUAL Ports partners aim to decarbonise Regional Entrepreneurial Ports (REPs)´ resources through a shared eco-innovation port programme that minimises their environmental footprint. The objective is to specifically develop sustainable utilities and abilities of REPs.
The project’s major pilot schemes include.
- Building up business case for alternative, non-conventional energy sources systems (e.g. Liquefied Natural Gas/hydrogen and a sailcargo trading network through port facilities´ eco-adaptation);
- Testing environmentally friendly equipment in ports (intelligent lightning network);
- Piloting new way of sustainably managing port environment (soil treatment; sustainable space use through co-siting/dockland);
- Sharing technology/processes/plans for resource efficient management (green officer + sustainability management system);
- Sharing resources for low carbon management & processes in ports (low carbon planning & management).
FOR A FULL DESCRIPTION OF THE DUAL Ports LOW CARBON PILOTS SEE: www.dualports.eu