Many Results Shared During the C5a Final Conference
Three years ago, the C5a project kicked off when the participants put together pieces of a giant puzzle as a symbol of the partners and the project. During the final conference, C5a was finally tied together when the partners put the pieces together one last time in Karlstad, Sweden.
The conference opened with Matthijs Boersema, Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management and project leader of C5a. He was followed by Jenny Thomsen, project advisor at the North Sea Region, who expressed why the Joint Secretariat thinks the C5a project is important. Avit Bhowmik, assistant professor of Risk and Environmental Studies at Karlstad University, gave an inspiring talk about how we can act rapidly, deliberately and optimally.
The C5a project has delivered many results during the three years it has been running. The aim of C5a was to enable greater integration and innovation in the adaptation to the physical, economical and social impact of flooding, while taking climate change into account. To help achieve this, C5a developed the Cloud2Coast approach that promotes adaption of a whole-system and long-term perspective to climate change adaptation. The main delivery of C5a was a large topic at the conference, along with thoughts about how it will be put into practice and transition to policies. Several interesting panel discussions were held.
The Cloud2Coast approach has been compiled on a new website that was developed within the project.Here you can find information about the approach, how it is used in practice and a useful toolbox. There is also information about the stakeholders and detailed information about the seven case studies done in Denmark, the Netherlands, UK, Germany, Belgium and Sweden. Each case study provides an example of the Cloud2Coast approach applied in real life contexts.
Visit the website: www.C5aCloud2Coast.eu
Final conference - video recordings
1. Welcome to Värmland – Katarina Nordmark, Head International Secretariat, Värmland County Administrative Board, SE
2. C5a puzzle – Stanford Wilson, Advisor Flood Risk Management
3. Why C5a? – Jenny Thomsen, Project Advisor, NSR
4. Keynote talk – Climate Mitigation Lessons for Adaptation – Avit Bhowmik, Assistant Professor of Risk and Environmental Studies at Karlstad University, SE
5. Cloud2Coast Approach – Paul Sayers, Sayers and Partners, UK
6. Pillars: Whole System and Adaptive Approach – Paul Sayers, Sayers and Partners, UK
7. Pillars: Inclusive Process and Continuous Dialogue – Gül Ozerol, Assistant Professor, University of Twente, NL
8. Transition to Policies – Stevie Swenne, Head International Cooperation, Flanders Environment Agency (BE)