House of Food | Factory for the future
The challenges the food industry are facing are:
- Finding motivated and well-educated employees
- Critical availability of natural resources such as water and energy
- Continuous product and process innovation
- Increasing the low entrepreneurs ratio
- Increasing the working space for entrepreneurship
- Improving the image of the food industry
- Improving collaboration to increase the speed of innovation and growth
Innovation measures are therefore more important than ever.
The ‘House of Food’ is situated in Roeselare, the heart of the West-Flemish food industry, and is the operating base of the ‘Factory for the Future’ (FfF). FfF is a unique partnership between government, private companies and knowledge institutions that encourages growth of the West-Flemish industry. One of its objectives is to support SME’s, stimulate and prepare them to switch from traditional to future-oriented and innovation-driven enterprises. To do this, they offer services such as:
- start-up facilities: meeting facilities & co-working space for 2 to 250 persons,
- a cooking lab for educational packages, workshops and product presentations,
- a sensoric lab for sensory research,
- a joblab for kids to experience jobs in the food industry and a foodlab where companies, students and start-ups can use analytical devices for their product innovation.